var _gaq = _gaq || ; _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-39095012-1']); _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);
There is always a possibility that a ‘hacker’ or ‘spammer’ may send emails that request your personal information so you need to be very careful about opening suspicious email. Take the extra prcautions listed below which will help protect your identity.
- Never click on any links in an email that ask for your personal information.
- Never give your Social Security Number to anyone, especially in an email or online.
- Never give your password or username in a reply to an email.
- Always check the email address of the sender. In many cases you will find a mistake in the email address if it is trying to imitate PayPal, eBay or a financial institution.
- If you receive an email from a bank that you do not do business with it is usually spam so do not click on any links that ask for your personal information. Delete the email as soon as possible and empty your ‘trash’ folder.
- Never click on a ‘pop-up’ that tells you that you have a number of ‘viruses’ in your computer. This is probably a ‘rogue’ program which may shut down your computer or cause it to malfunction. If you have a good Antivirus program installed in your computer it will never ‘pop-up’ and tell you that you have viruses unless you run the software and it finds a problem.
To make sure that you have a reliable Antivirus program I encourage you to install Norton 360 which is available HERE with a secure download. It is good for three computers which makes the cost very reasonable. I also have a Free Tutorial on how to run Norton 360 on the same page. Print this out and follow each time you scan your computer.
PAYPAL: If you receive an email from PayPal asking for your personal information or telling you that your account has been suspended, forward the email to email@example.com and they will verify if it is genuine or spam.
EBAY: If you receive an email from eBay asking for your personal information or telling you that your account has been suspended, forward the email to firstname.lastname@example.org and they will verify if it is genuine or spam.
NOTE: PayPal, eBay or your Bank will never ask you to click on links in an email and add your personal information.